Tuesday, October 20, 2009

You know how sometimes the words to a song are like popcorn kernels?

Yes, you do. I'm certain of this.

There are you singing along to some song you know like crazy and BAM! You forget the words. They hum around inside your head but won't come out of your mouth. And you start getting annoyed because you can't remember. So you start singing the song again and BAM! There is is, stuck again in that groove of non-remembrance.

So, then, just like a popcorn kernel stuck in your teeth you keep working and working at that piece of the song. Your tongue starts to get a little sore but you can't stop now. The popcorn must be removed at any cost.

And the lyrics must be remembered.

But they aren't.

But you are determined that you will remember by trying to rhyme it perhaps, or humming it, or trying to use various letters to help you remember...

If I were a miller
at a mill wheel grinding,
would you miss your blah, blah, blah
and your blah, blah, blah, blah?

Would you miss your ground up mill stuff? Nope, that's not it.

Would you miss your stuff that millers grind? Nope, that's not it.

Would you miss the stuff you've been finding? Hmmm.... I think not.

So this goes on for a short while and then you decide to just walk away.

But does it work? NoooooOOOOOO!!!!!

It's like that dratted piece of popcorn and there is no way your tongue is ever going to be able to ignore it. You have to try to find the floss or the toothpick. The piece of popcorn is definitely in control at this point. Just like the missing lyrics.

So you sing the song again, blah, blah, blah...

And you still can't remember.

You realize that you have to google the song. Arrrggggh.

Even though you need to go to bed RIGHT NOW!

And when you google the song you read:


If I were a carpenter
and you were a lady,
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby?
Would you marry anyway?
Would you have my baby?

If I were a miller,
At a mill wheel grinding
would you miss your color box,
and your soft shoe shining?

And suddenly it's really late and you are really annoyed at yourself because now you have to try to figure out what in the heck is a color box and why would you miss it AND ON TOP OF THAT why do you only have one shoe to softly shine?

I dunno. It all seems pretty deep to me.

So for the sake of sleep and perhaps the retention of any tiny modicum of sanity remaining in my brain...

I am just going to walk away from this enigma and go to bed.

Good night...sleep tight....don't let the .... hmmmm..... hmmmm.... blah-blahs bite!

Sigh...

8 comments:

Mardell said...

Oh how I can relate! I'm terrible at remembering lyrics...no matter how many times I've heard the song. Latley the only song that gets stuck in my head is the Spongebob one. "OOOOhh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea ~ blah blah blah blah!"

laterg8r said...

LOL - funny! :D

~Kristen~ said...

Girl you care cracking me up! But I can so relate. I completely totally irrationally obsess over song lyrics (or movie quotes, or line from books, or...)that I can't remember! Drvies. Me. INSANE! Then with songs I eventually just end up making up my own nonsensical replacement lyrics. That's just how I roll... :-)

laterg8r said...

ps - SAHM = stay at home mom :D

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Thank you fro stopping by.

I love your post, very funny and so very true. I hate when I loose the words and they are on the tip of my tongue and all I can do is Bla, Bla

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

That's too funny, how you can just pick something that we've all experienced, and put it into words like that! Thank heaven's for google song lyrics.

Unknown said...

I do the blah blah blah thing too and if it still isnt getting through to the brain, I go online and find the lyrics......You are funny!!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

LOL Do you remember an old Saturday Night Love skit when the family sang all the wrong words to songs? That's us! :-D